Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Invasion....I'm so scared

Right now I'm hiding in our family room with Mr. Furkins tethered to me. Why? Well, I have four 8 year old girls down in my basement right now. You cannot even begin to imagine how scary this situation is.

After school today, Madeline and approached me with two of her classmates and asked if she could play with them today. I thought she meant she'd be playing at their houses (they're neighbors and live at the far end our our block). It wasn't until she had finished her homework that I was informed that the friends wanted to play here. Of course they do. Who doesn't want to play at my house? We have good toys, lots of snacks and the mom who doesn't like having her house invaded by the roving neighborhood children.

Imagine my shock when Madeline returned with not two, but three little girls. I knew who two of the girls were, but I was not familiar with the mystery child. Mystery child introduced herself after I asked her what her name was. I don't know where she lives, nor do I know her parents. I don't know one of the other girl's parents, either. I'm familiar with the third girl's mother from seeing her drop her daughter off at CCD. She's not the warm and friendly type.

About 15 minutes after the invasion started, a white minivan pulled up. I figured it was one of the parents looking for their child who scampered into the home of an unknown family. I was right, but only partly. The mother, who wished to remain anonymous (I introduced myself, but she did not reciprocate.) was simply here to swap out cell phones. Nice. *Here's a nice little fun fact I found out just before the little girl went home. She's only 6 and in 1st grade. Who lets their 6 year old just wander the neighborhood and play in stranger's houses?*

I think I'm a normal parent. I like to know who my child is playing with, who the parents are, and where she is playing. I generally like to visit the house of her friend the first time she goes there to play. I want to know the names of the parents, and their home phone number. I don't think that makes me overprotective, but maybe it does. I'd like to think that I'm just an interested parent. I also don't allow my child to roam the neighborhood without supervision. There are a few families in our neighborhood that allow this. Three of those children are at my house right now.

So why am I scared right now? Well, I'm always a bit uncomfortable when I have tiny invaders in my home. I don't know if I'll ever feel comfortable having the friends of my children over to visit. I'm not sure why having kids over freaks me out, but it does. Add to that the fact that my daughter is now playing with the kids who I feel are a little too grown up for their age, and you have one freaked out mom here. To quote my neighbor, these girls are "more worldly" than my children, and I don't necessarily think that is a good thing. I'd like to preserve innocence for as long as I can.

Small children who freak me out and get my dog all riled up, please go home. You make me want to go hide in a closet and wait for you to leave. Why oh why must my Madeline be a social butterfly?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...