Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Who needs toys when you can have a spastic puppy?

As I embark on day three of Bryan's business trip, I have to admit that I'm feeling exhausted.  The kids are extra needy because Bryan isn't home at night to play with them and that means they're turning to me for extra attention.  That makes me one tired Mommy.  Add Mr. Furkins and his excessive need for attention and one can't help buy wonder why I haven't run away yet.

Last night I fell asleep on the couch and woke up 2 1/2 hours later wondering what had just happened.  I knew I felt a little wiped out when I sat down around 10PM, but I didn't expect to fall asleep.  Since Bryan's in a time warp out in California, he didn't noticed that I didn't call him before midnight.  He was too busy enjoying a 5 course meal.  Glad to see that someone is eating well.  I had Chick-Fil-A for dinner last night (I know, you're all saying "Lucky" in your best Napoleon Dynamite impersonation).

It's weeks like this that really make me wonder if I'm not insane to be toying with the idea of having another baby.  I'm just in an odd spot.  I want another baby, but at the same time, I'm not sure I want all the work that goes along with said baby.   I guess what I really want is a nice niece or nephew, but since none of our siblings are married, I don't think Bryan and I will be Aunt Karen and Uncle Bryan anytime soon, if ever.  Bryan isn't exactly sold on the idea of having a third, but he is slowly coming around.  To be honest, I can't say that I'm as sold on the idea as I was with the first two, but I'm certainly feeling that pull to have another one.  I know a lot of that has to do with the fact that I absolutely know what I'm getting into.  I've seen both ends of the spectrum with my girls from happy baby to anything but, and from prim and proper toddler to over the top down and dirty, and yet part of me wonders if it's possible for another child to reach and even more outlandish extreme. And, if so, would I survive?  For now, I'm just going to continue pondering this question and if a small person comes our way I won't complain (I might freak out a bit on the inside).

Enough of that for now.  While I sit here typing away, Oscar is doing a great job of entertaining Ellie.  They are the ultimate partners in crime.  They chase each other around, they get into trouble together and they will even  chill out and watch TV together.  The thing I find remarkable about Furkins, is you can tell he knows when Ellie is leading him into trouble.  You can see it on his face.  I'm pretty sure the dog has some sort of conscience.  I wish he could share that with the kids.  It would certainly make my life easier.

I made up my mind about the volunteering situation for teaching a Religious Ed class.  I decided after a lot of thought that it made more sense overall for me to teach a Kindergarten class on Sunday mornings.  Both the deacon and his wife (they're in charge of the RE department) asked me to consider teaching on Sunday instead because that's where they were most in need of teachers.  So I decided that I could just take the girls to a Saturday night Mass (which I've been doing for the past few weeks, anyway) or go to an earlier one on Sunday mornings during the school year.  Madeline is excited at the prospect of getting to be my helper here and there.  I'm also relieved that I won't have to worry about depending on someone to watch Ellie for me.  I emailed them last night and let them know that I thought it over and would teach on Sunday.  I also got Bryan to agree to 75% Mass attendance during the school year.  He was trying to negotiate from 50%.  Provided he keeps up his end of the agreement, I will only have to take the kids to Mass by myself once a month and on holy days of obligation.  Bryan is striving to be a "D" Catholic--because of the 75% goal, but it's better than him not going at all. 

Ellie is now beckoning me to make her a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  If she could choose only one food to eat at every meal, PB&J would be it.  She was very upset with me this morning because I wouldn't make her beloved sandwich for breakfast.  She's been impatiently waiting for this sandwich since 7:30AM.  I fear she may explode if I don't comply within the next 5 minutes, and I simply don't want to have to scrape Ellie bits off the kitchen walls, cabinets and appliances.  It would be too big of a mess.

1 comment:

  1. Hope Ellie managed to not explode before the sandwich was ready. Glad you were able to settle on a class time with some sense of peace and rightness.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...