Thursday, June 18, 2009

Gardening woes

Today, I fear, is going to be a long day.  I'm on my third blog posting of the day and it's not even 10Am.  That's a bad sign, isn't it?

I just had to run outside in the rain and go Mr. McGregor on a bunny rabbit who was feasting on my strawberry plants.  I've been trying for over a month now to live peacefully with the family of bunnies who reside under the shed in my back yard.  I have a lovely crop of strawberries that are growing in my retainer wall along the pool, but sadly, I have only had two berries that ripened and were consumed by people.  The rest of them have been purloined by my bunny neighbors.  They have also eaten all the leaves off of my blueberry bushes (twice).  A pepper plant was vandalized, as well.  Two cantaloupe plants were also cut down before they could even be planted.

We were hoping to avoid having to put up chicken wire since it's not exactly pretty to look at, but I don't think we have a choice at this point.  Why must small woodland creatures always eat my harvest? It is sad that I have to war with bunnies.  I love bunnies and will always have a soft spot for them.*  But I can't sit by and watch them eat the fruits of my labor.


*We used to have a French Lop bunny named Oswald.  Oswald passed 13 months ago.  She had liver cancer that was improperly diagnosed as a "broken tooth". 

2 comments:

  1. that would be hard to have to shut them out, but I know having plants grow is something you want, so sometimes you got to do what you got to do. we have so many bunnies in our neighborhood I would be reluctant to start growing something....plus there's the snake issues so I don't want too much here that might attract any type of wildlife

    hoping the day gets better for you

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! 3 posts before 10am?! That is crazy. And i'm not so sure that chicken wire would work. Mamazen has a great pic posted on her blog of a rabbit going inside her rabbit fence around her garden. check it out. http://thezenofmotherhood.blogspot.com/2009/06/caught.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...