Sunday, June 21, 2009

Oh no! I'm thinking about baking...

Oh, the humanity of it all!  I'm seriously considering a baking experiment.  I must be crazy.  It is very possible that I may actually attempt to make Ellie's birthday cake(s).  That is actually a scary undertaking.  After attempting to make Madeline's first birthday cake and failing miserably three times in one day*, I decided that I was not meant to make birthday cakes for my children.  Every time I have attempted to make a birthday cake since that fateful first birthday for either of my girls, it has not ended well.  I make a cake for Bryan's birthday every year and have been doing this since we were dating and haven't had one cake mishap yet.  

I know I've mentioned Cake Wrecks on here at least once or twice.  It's a blog that I love read.  It validates all the worrying I do about my girls birthday cakes after I place the order with the bakery.  Today as I was looking at her latest installment, I saw the cutest cupcakes.  And then I discovered after following the link to the baker, that these are cakes that I am probably very capable of making. I can make cupcakes and  I can bake brownies. In theory, I should be able to make these with relative ease.  I just hope I can turn theory into practice.  The most challenging thing for me will be the sugar cookie fries, but I think I can muddle through those.

Ellie is a cheeseburger junkie.  She has had a love affair with cheeseburgers since she was about a year old.  Something tells me that she will be over the moon if she can have a birthday cake that looks like a cheeseburger.  The look on her face was priceless when I showed her a picture of the cakes.  I got a resounding "YES!" when I asked her if she'd like them for her birthday party.  She has been asking for another Spongebob birthday party (she's been in love with him for three years now) and I think the little burger cakes will go perfectly with the theme, given that our beloved Spongebob is a fry cook.

*Two cakes literally fell apart after I put the icing on them. One got stuck in the pan.  I'll never understand what exactly went wrong.

1 comment:

  1. I clicked on the baker's link; that is sooo adorable! now I see how the brownie plays into it all; I would imagine your little one would be thrilled to have this theme for her birthday party cake!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...