Monday, June 29, 2009

It's Summer. Aren't I supposed to have LESS laundry?

During the Winter months I wistfully yearn for the Summer months when the laundry piles are smaller.  Winter clothes are bulky and often have layered tops.  Not to mention socks and undershirts for the girls.  The pajamas are static nightmares that constantly zap me.  Yes, Winter laundry is one of my least favorite things to do.

Now that Summer is here, I should be enjoying less laundry, right?  We wear less clothing during the Summer.  Sweaters and jeans have been exchanged for sundresses (God's gift to moms of little girls), shorts and tank tops.  In theory, my laundry loads should be cut in half.  I realized that something has gone terribly awry in the laundry department last night.  Instead of having less laundry to do, I seem to have twice the normal amount.  What gives?

I took a few moments to freak out over the mountain range of laundry covering my laundry room floor and part of the basement hallway (yes, it was that bad).  Did I forget to do laundry last week?  No, I remember folding and putting lots of laundry away on Thursday and Friday.  I pondered the situation a little more.  Ellie has been having accidents a couple nights each week.  Right there, I'm looking at 2 extra loads of laundry per accident.  We've had two such incidents in the past 3 days. Ugh!  Then I realized that the beach towel situation was pretty bad, too.  We've gone swimming every day since Friday (or was it Wednesday or Thursday?) and right there that is one load for towels and one for the bathing suits (Have I mentioned how much I LOVE the 18 minute "Fast Wash" setting on my new washer? I don't have to hand wash bathing suits after every swim anymore.  Yay!).  Then, upon further inspection of the laundry, I realized that Madeline has been changing her clothes to play outside since we have a rule of no skirts, dresses or sandals while riding bikes.  And, let's add Bryan's two outfits a day during the work week onto the pile.  I'm starting to think that Winter laundry isn't all that bad, but I'd rather have the warm weather. 

It's not a lifestyle I could ever embrace, but sometimes, I'm just a little envious of those who live as nudists.  I wonder if maybe some of them decided to live that lifestyle so they could get a leg up on the epic laundry battles.  Think about it, they probably only have towels and bed linens to wash.  I could take care of all that in a few hours.

3 comments:

  1. I have a friend whose husband likes to change his underwear 3 times a day; I can't remember why he does, but he does. She's been trying to get him to reduce that amount to help with the laundry but its ingrained in him from childhood. Then there are some that won't use a towel more than once creating lots of laundry that way. Thankfully hubby is pretty reasonable with what he throws in for dirty clothes and my 20 y/o does his own laundry. I don't know why, but I rather strongly dislike folding clothes; so silly but that's one of my least favorite chores

    I guess we should be thankful we don't have to go down to the creek like our great-grandmothers might have had to do to wash clothes

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I was just thinking this earlier. Did you read my mind?! It's funy how we get more laundry in the summer. It just comes with the heat i think.

    and I did the meme :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...