Thursday, March 21, 2013

Taking Candy From a Baby

I'm sure we've all heard the "It's like taking candy from a baby." saying.  People say this when they want to convey that something is incredibly easy.  This morning I'm wondering if "they" have ever actually taken candy from a baby.  My guess is they haven't.

I had some errands to run this morning.  So I packed Katie up and we made our first stop at the parish office to drop off and pick up VBS related items.  Just before we leave Katie was given an unopened lollipop.  I didn't think anything of it until we got in the car.  Bryan does NOT like the kids having lollipops because he thinks they can come off the stick at anytime and become a choking hazard.  So knowing that Katie has the ability to get into anything and knowing that Bryan would not be happy with me if he knew that I let her play with a wrapped lollipop while I drove to Target, I reached back and took it from her.  The sippy cup I gave her in exchange didn't cut it.

For the next 45 horrifically long, loud minutes, my child screamed, kicked and wailed.  A minute after I took the lollipop I realized that I needed to get gas in the van if I didn't want to be stranded on the side of the road with a crabby baby.  Of course the gas station was packed and I got to wait as the slowest gas station attendant ever went from car to car at a most leisurely pace.  And let's not forget the person ahead of me who just wanted to hang out in her car for a few minutes while my child screeched inches away from my ears.  My prayers to God to make Katie stop went unheeded.  Perhaps this was another awesome lesson in patience.

I was so hopeful that she'd stop wailing once the car got moving but that was a mere fantasy.  The screaming was bad enough that I nearly got in an accident more than a few times.  Screaming babies are great if you are trying to disorient someone.

Surely, she'd be happy once we got out of the car and went into Target.  Wrong.  At this point I had such a massive headache that I wanted to find an aisle with soft bedding and just lay down.  But instead, I grabbed some candy for the egg hunt Katie and I are going to this afternoon at a friend's house.

The ride home was every bit as bad as the ride to the store.  At a light I texted Bryan and let him know what was going on.  He suggested that teeth might be partially to blame.  Ah, yes, I had forgotten that she woke up screaming around 4am this morning.  The ibuprofen had worn off and those top and bottom molars were once again making Katie, and me miserable.

As soon as we got home she had her medicine which made her a little happier.  Thanks be to God she is now napping.  Now if I could just get my headache to go away, I might not feel like I'm in desperate need of a morning nap.

If anyone uses that inane cliche that anything is "like taking candy from a baby" around me just know that I will have plenty to say about it.

1 comment:

  1. Awww, sorry you had a rough morning but I am loving that you commented that it could be a lesson in patience. I have to remember this more often!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...