Friday, April 15, 2011

Amazed, and not in a good way

Sometimes I see things that just leave me shaking my head.  I was reading a story that was linked through AOL and I noticed an article that showed a  picture of a baby wearing a onesie with a Kate Moss saying that made me do a double take.  It said "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."  It lead me to one of those Wha-a-a-t? moments.

I'm a skinny person and pretty much always have been unless you're in the camp of people who count anything above 130lbs as fat.  And yes, there are people out there who would consider that fat.  I personally am perplexed by the notion that being skinny feels so much better than anything can taste.  Seriously?

Let's go down the list of foods for which I would happily carry a few extra pounds simply because they taste good, shall we?


  • A delicious sugar cured ham with pineapple and brown sugar glaze, or just plain old 100% maple syrup.
  • Pancakes smothered with whipped butter (enough to clog your arteries) and 100% maple syrup.
  • A baked potato with sea salt, black pepper and about 1/3 of a stick of butter.
  • Butter (God's gift to those of us who don't care if it's not exactly the healthiest food to eat in large quantities.)
  • Pumpkin pie with whipped cream (the real stuff, not Cool Whip)
  • Butter cream icing (back to the butter again)
  • Pumpkin cheese cake
  • BLT sandwiches
  • Italian Hoagies
  • Fresh off the grill hamburger with dill pickle
  • Jell-O swirl pudding
  • Pizza
  • Fresh buffalo mozzarella
  • Mozzarella sticks
  • Cheesesteak with cheese whiz from Pat's in Philadelphia
  • Cannoli
  • Tiramisu 
  • Manicotti


So now I am left wondering what is wrong with our culture that some people would put a quote that is so incredibly shallow and harmful on a child.  Given the choice between delicious food or small pants I'll take the food.  Someone pass me the butter, please.

2 comments:

  1. That is incredibly disturbing!!!!

    Our culture's views on weight are so warped.

    In college I used to worry that I was "fat." I'm 5'5" and I was 107 lbs when I started college and 103 lbs six months after I graduated (ew!!!! Now that I think about it...I never starved myself or did anything harmful but my eating habits definitely weren't good!). I'm a good forty lbs heavier now and feel so much better. Sure I would love to lose ten more lbs, just so I can say that I "lost the baby weight..." but there's no way I'm even going to think about dieting while nursing!

    I'm sure my college self would be horrified to look into the future and see my current weight!... but I digress...

    I can't imagine the kind of pressure a baby who would be put in a onsie like that would grow up in...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a problem with the saying itself--I first heard it from a person who struggled with controlling his weight, and was celebrating his newfound self-discipline. But on a onesie, for a baby--that sounds crazy. I didn't know Kate Moss first said it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...