Monday, January 16, 2012

Shopping the Aisle of Misfit Toys

This is the time of year when I like to browse Target's toy clearance aisles.  Since these are mostly left overs from the Christmas shopping season, I like to refer to this area of Target as the Aisle of Misfit Toys.  It a bit like the Isle of Misfit Toys, from Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, only different.

I'm trying my best to be realistic about toy purchases.  A couple months ago I totally snapped when I discovered our basement was a step away from being declared a disaster area did a bit of a toy purge.  The kids had/have way too much stuff.  In going down the Aisle of Misfit Toys I was hoping to find things we could actually use or need for the baby.  In the week after Christmas I scored a Duplo block set
 that will be under our tree this December 25th.  I figure since the older girls are really into playing with Legos, Katie will likely want to build with block, too, and more Duplo blocks means her big sisters will be able to make some fun things for her.

My misfit toy shopping has been pretty lack luster this year outside of my 50% off Duplo find.  But I wasn't too worried.  The less I find, the less I have to store for the next 11 months.  And to be perfectly honest, the kids really don't "need" anything.

Since Madeline and Ellie have off from school today I decided I would take them to Target and let them use their gift cards.  Madeline hoards her gift cards and has a sizable collection.  She's been eyeing up some ugly boots that she wants, and has mentioned wanting to buy something, anything, lately.  Since this kid typically won't spend her gift cards I figured it was worth taking her to the store to see if she'd actually buy something.   She wound up buying a pair of furry brown boots and a pink Wii remote.  Ellie wanted a remote, too, but they didn't have the blue one she wanted in stock.

After we wandered the store a bit I passed by the Aisle of Misfit Toys.  I was fully prepared to walk by it since the clearance signs said 30% and 50% off.  It's mid-January.  I want 70-90% off!  I think the economy is delaying Target from price cutting as quickly as they have in the past.  Then I noticed that they still had the pink cozy coupes
 that have been sitting there since a few days after Christmas.  We don't need one, since we have a red one in like new condition that we got at a yard sale nine years ago for $1, but Katie had a gift card from a toy we returned (I couldn't bring myself to suffer the obnoxious battery operated toy she was given).  So I decided to take a peek at the price on the cozy coupe.  It had been around $35 for the past few weeks, and I was not about to pay that much for something we technically already have.  I was surprised when I looked at the tag and saw it was $14.98.  Her gift card was for $13 and change so after calling Bryan, I ended up buying it.

Katie got a Step 2 push buggy
 for Christmas from my parents and when we went to put it together Bryan and I were terribly disappointed in how badly Step 2 had cheapened their product.  Ten years ago we had bought the same car for Madeline and it had a fun clicking yellow key (now it's a boring sticker), wheels that had two sides instead of one hollowed out side, and a nice handle that could be easily removed and stowed under the car for easy transportation.  We used the car for both Madeline and Ellie and we all loved it.  After Ellie outgrew it we gave it to someone (I wish I could remember who I gave it to.).  We were so unhappy with the cost cutting version of the car that we decided to take it back to Kohls and look for a used one.  So far I haven't had any luck finding one, although I'm still on the look out.  I don't know if the new cozy coupe will replace my need for the push buggy (I don't think it will.) but I was happy to see that it has a floor board so you can push a child who isn't quite old enough to Flintstone it around the back yard.  I'm sure Madeline and Ellie will like pushing Katie around in her little car.

I think I'm done with the Aisle of Misfit Toys for this year.  Other than the blocks and the car, I really didn't see anything worth buying, but I'm not going to complain.  I'm pretty happy with the two items we picked up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...