Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Should I be concerned?

Two nights ago as we were getting ready to sit down for dinner Madeline started asking some interesting questions. She was talking to Bryan and she wanted to know what his plans were if I should get in a car accident and die. Nice, huh?

Bryan sat there looking at her like she had two heads. I don't think he knew what to say. So then Madeline decided to try to prompt him again. "Will you start dating so you can get married again?" At that point, I decided to turn away from the food I was preparing to see what Bryan would say. Of course, we got the lovely response of "I don't know, why are you asking me this?". Turns out Miss Madeline has been watching Full House a bit too much lately, and was wondering if her dear old dad had a plan. I have to say it's a bit alarming that my child is thinking of scenarios where I'm not in the picture. It's not a scenario I'd like to think about. I sincerely hope that God does not plan to take me from my children before they are grown.

In some ways I found her line of questioning a bit interesting. I know if the tables were reversed and Bryan were to die in an accident, I couldn't imagine moving on to another relationship. In fact, the fact that my husband "doesn't know" what he would do kind of alarms me. I seriously doubt that I would remarry if I were widowed. Absolutely nothing about the prospect of everything that would come along with finding a new spouse appeals to me.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe he said "I don't know" to save face. Heaven forbid that anything should happen to you, but you never know what lies ahead. I think the last thing he wanted to do was to say one thing, then have the opposite happen; You know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My concern isn't with Bryan and his lack of plan of life without me. I'm more concerned that Madeline seems to be plotting my death.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...