Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Book Review: Magnificat Lenten Companion


I recently ordered myself a copy of Magnificat’s Lenten Companion. We subscribe to their children’s publication Magnifikid!, and it’s such a great hit with my daughter, that I decided that I’d give their Lenten Companion a try. Most years, I fall short in doing something to grow spiritually during Lent, and I figured that this pocket-size Lenten Companion would be useful in helping me gain focus during the season of Lent.
I haven’t read all of this Lenten Companion yet since I’m intending to use it daily during Lent. For the purpose of this review, I have flipped through the booklet and read a few of the daily readings to get a feel for the overall format.
In the beginning of this booklet, there is a brief overview, entitled Lent in France of the origins of some Lenten traditions in France and their significance. I found this article to be a rather interesting read. This article is followed by a brief (two paragraph) explanation of Church regulations on fasting and abstinence during Lent.
The booklet contains a short reading reflection for every day of Lent. Each daily reflection is based on scripture, and that scripture reference is listed. One could easily read the reflection, and then go and look up the scripture reference for further reflection. The reflection is followed by a short devotional. There is also a suggested penance for each day. One could very easily utilize this book to deepen their spiritual life during Lent. Daily suggested penance aside, reading this book, the referenced scripture and daily devotional shouldn’t take you more than a few minutes a day. The suggested penances vary and some could take more time and effort than others.
Besides the daily reflections, this book also contains the Stations of the Cross and a variety of other prayers.
I'm confident that this booklet will make for a more meaningful Lent. You can purchase this item here.
I wrote this review of Magnificat Lenten Companion for the Tiber River Blogger Review program, created by Aquinas and More Catholic Goods. For more information and to purchase, please visit Aquinas and More Catholic Goods.

Tiber River is the first Catholic book review site, started in 2000, to help you make informed decisions about Catholic book purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...