Monday, April 16, 2012

Book Review: Mothers of the Church

I recently had the pleasure of reading Mike Aquilina and Christopher Bailey's Mothers of the Church.  As you might guess from the title, the book takes a look at some of the Mothers of the Church.  I pretty much expected when I saw that Mike Aquilina was one of the book's authors that I would find this book both informative and enjoyable and I'm pleased to say that those expectations were certainly met.

Many of the women presented in this book are saints who I had already encountered.  Happily their stories contained bits and pieces of information that I had not previously known, so it's safe to say that you're unlikely to read through this book and feel like you've read this all before if you're familiar with many of the popular early Christian women.  There were many other women whom I had never heard of before, as well.

Overall the book gives you a refreshing overview notable women in the early church.  This book is certainly a history book, but for those of you who may shy away from such books, I can assure you that it reads more like a story than a dull history account.

This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company.  For more information on Mothers of the Church or to purchase, visit The Catholic Company.  They are also a great source for baptism gifts or first communion gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...