Monday, October 29, 2012

Preparing for Hurricane Sandy

Sometime in the next few hours we're expecting to get hit by Hurricane Sandy.  We assume we will lose power at some point so my blog will wind up going silent as a result I expect.  My parents who are about 40 minutes south of us lost power a couple of hours ago.

Our house is more or less prepared for the storm.  We did discover that the crack in our basement wall which had been repaired six years ago is now leaking.  We're a little concerned about how much water will come into the house once the full force of the storm hits us.

While we sit and wait I've been looking at the pictures my friends have been posting of my hometown/island.  If you are familiar with Morey's Pier in Wildwood, there was a picture posted many hours ago that showed the water about 18 inches or less below the bottom of the pier. Mind you this pier is about 8-10 feet above the beach.

 Then I saw another picture of the street where I grew up where the highest end of the street is flooded and looks to have at least a foot of water or more at low tide.

My uncle and several friends that I went through grade school and high school with are still on the island because they are either law enforcement or city workers who are needed to help with things on the island.  Their safety is certainly on my mind at the moment.

Another friend who I went to college with lives in Ocean City.  She and her family with thee young children evacuated this weekend.  She posted pictures of her neighborhood which was already underwater at low tide.  She knows that what she had inside the house must be ruined, but she's hopeful that she will still have a home with a sound structure to return to after the storm.  I can't imagine being in her shoes right now.

Please join me in praying for all those in Hurricane Sandy's path, especially those who are on the barrier islands who will be hit the hardest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...