Monday, May 4, 2009

Memory, where have you gone? I need you!

I suspect greatly that by the time I hit 50 I will have no memory to speak of.  Maybe I'm sleep deprived or maybe I just have too much going on right now, but one thing is certain:  I seem to lack the capacity required to remember things.

Over the course of the weekend and into today, I have made more trips to the store to buy things I forgot while I was there the first time than I can recall.  I was talking to my mother yesterday and she suggested that I go grocery shopping after I told her about how every time I turn around I find out we've run out of yet another essential ingredient for whatever meal is being prepared.  Last Tuesday, while I was making a meatloaf, I had to borrow an egg from my neighbor because the one I had left expired 6 weeks ago. How on Earth did that happen?  I find it so hard to believe that I haven't brought eggs since March (not counting the run of the mill white eggs I brought Holy Week for the kids to dye on Good Friday).

Apparently, I am that neighbor that you see on the 50's TV shows that comes knocking on your door asking to borrow a cup of sugar.  I always realize at a crucial point of the cooking or baking process that I'm missing something essential like milk or eggs.  I think my next door neighbor expects my strange requests now. If nothing else, I add humor to her day when I call her up asking for random ingredients.  And, I have learned that your neighbors don't want you to return 1 1/4 cups of milk or an egg when you've finally decided to go grocery shopping.  My wonderful neighbor now tells me that she doesn't want the two slices of bread back when she saves me from a hungry three year old's hunger induced tantrum.  Bryan tells me that I'm crazy for even offering to repay what I asked for, but I think it would be un-neighborly not to at least offer. 

So, now that I've made separate trips to the store to buy bread, toothpaste, peanut butter, shampoo, soap, sugar, apples and eggs over the past four days, I come to find out that I need to go back to the store and buy bread, again.  What on Earth happened to the last loaf?  We have two slices left for Madeline's sandwich tomorrow.  On some level, I should note, I am not always aware that we have run out of a certain food or essential item.  Bryan has a habit of using up the last of something and doesn't bother to alert me. He makes Madeline's sandwiches for school and will often use up the last of the bread and not tell me.  I only find out that we've run out of bread when I go to make Ellie a sandwich later in the day.    My current lack of memory only makes the situation worse.

Because I have Madeline's First Communion coming up this week, I have made sure that I have lists detailing what I need to buy at the stores and what needs to be taken care of at the house.  If all goes well, I will be able to get myself organized and focus on getting the house ready for a brunch, instead of running to Target and Acme every few hours to pick up another forgotten item.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...