Thursday, January 24, 2013

Book Review: Novenas for the Church Year

I have to admit that when it comes to novenas, I often feel overwhelmed by them, particularly the ones where there's a different prayer for each day.  Usually a few days into those types of novenas I wind up abandoning it completely.  Now, the novenas where the prayer(s) stay the same for the duration whether it's nine days, all of Advent or even nine months long, I usually do much better with being able to stay the course.  

When I saw that Fr. Cameron had written a novena book, Novenas for the Church Year, I knew that I wanted to check it out.  The book is a collection of nearly sixty original novenas.  I have read a few of Fr. Cameron's books, plus I have read many editorials and such by him in the Magnificat publication, and I'm always taken by how beautifully he explains the faith.  I suspected that whatever novenas he had composed along with their explanation would be inspiring.

In Novenas for the Church Year, you'll find a variety of novenas for every month.  The book is arranged by month.  Each novena has a beautifully written explanation and an equally beautiful novena prayer.  Let me tell you that I was thrilled when I saw that each of these novenas uses the same prayer for all nine days of the novena.  So if you're like me and you find novenas with prayers that change every day to be daunting, you'll like this book.

Now just because the book has the novenas sorted by month and date doesn't mean you can't use them throughout the year.  In the foreword there is a section on how to use this book.  Firstly, if you're intending to use a novena for commemorating a particular feast day such as All Saints' Day, you'll need to know to start it nine days before November 1st (The trick is making sure you plan ahead!).  But, if there's a novena you want to pray for a particular intention you can use it at anytime regardless of the date in the book.

The book itself is a nice hardbound volume.  It's about the same size as many other prayer books I have.  It's small enough to fit into a purse, but it's a touch too big for me to call it pocket sized.  Since it's hardbound, it should withstand frequent use far better than another paperback novena book that I have.

Overall, it's a nice prayer book and is a timely volume for the Year of Faith.

This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on Novenas for the Church Year. The Catholic Company is the best resource for gifts for every Sacrament celebration, such as First Communion gifts and Baptism gifts, as well as a great selection of limited-time Year of Faith gifts and resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...