Thursday, March 11, 2010

St. Patrick's Day Craft

This Sunday I don't just have my kindergarten CCD class, but I'm also teaching the kindergarten class from across the hall. Will Miss Karen survive 15 five and six year olds for 60 minutes?  Your guess is as good as mine!

So I started to wonder what I should do with the pack of kindergarten kids.  I could do a foam craft, but I wasn't sure if I could handle having to peel foam stickers for 15 kids.  After all, I only have two hands and sometimes that's not enough to help 8 kids, let alone 15.  So I turned my thoughts to St. Patrick's Day.  Surely, there must be something the kids could do that wouldn't require too much assistance from me.

This is what I came up with:

It's a shamrock with a repurposed toilet paper roll cut and painted to look like a coiled snake.

I will tell the students how St. Patrick used the shamrock to teach the Irish about the Blessed Trinity, and I will also share with them the legend that St. Patrick drove the snakes from Ireland.

For the craft shown above you'll need green construction paper for the shamrock, a toilet paper roll, green paint, glue, red paint or red construction paper, and a black marker or pair of googely eyes.

The toilet paper rolls need to be cut into a spiral shape.  I rounded off the snake head to make him look a little more realistic.  Red construction paper or a scrap from the toilet paper tube colored red is needed to make the snake's tongue.  Eyes can be colored on, or you could use googely eyes to add a little more pizazz.   Once your snake is decorated you simply glue the bottom to your cut out shamrock. It's a cute simple craft that shouldn't take too much time.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! This is soooo cute! Love it love it love it! I'm really going to try to find time to run this before St. Patrick's day :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...