Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Definition of Disconcerting

Nearly 5 1/2 years ago while I was making my bed one morning Madeline walked into my room and happily announced that she was going to be a big sister.  It was a really odd moment.  I explained to Madeline that she really didn't know that and that I would certainly know before she would.  She insisted that I was having a baby and that it was her little sister.  Eerily, she turned out to be right about the pregnancy, and five months later we found out she was also right about the gender.  It's one of those memories that sticks out as being a little surreal.  At the time, Madeline was just a little over three years old and she was not aware that we were trying to grow our family.

Let's fast forward to today.  I'm in Target shopping with Ellie and out of nowhere she tells me in a very matter-of-fact tone she's going to have a little brother.  Umm...I'm not pregnant as far as I know.  I asked her if she meant to say that she wanted a little brother.  She simply responded that she was going to have a baby brother and that she was going to get to help take care of him.  The conversation and scenario seemed a little too close to previous events on this subject.

If she's right,  which I find highly unlikely and incredibly disconcerting, I'm going to be beyond surprised.  We're not currently in the market for a new human.  I'm still trying to decide if I want to hop into the insanity of having three kids.  It's a decision on which I'm happy to procrastinate.

I think it's safe to assume that I'll be obsessively worrying pondering this statement, which Ellie has refused to retract, for the duration of the week.

5 comments:

  1. hmmmmmm very interesting. looking forward to hearing if a wee one will be gracing your household in the future or not

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me chuckle a little. Well I'm sure you'll know in a few weeks or so, I would be interested to learn if she was "right".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow....I would love to know too. How amazing!!! You all always seem to be so on top of things, so this would just fall into line :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking that she can't possibly be right. December is a busy month, and we're planning to go on vacation in November, so if she's right all I can say is the timing would be really bad. I'm going to operate under the assumption that her comments were simply wishful thinking. I've been getting a lot of baby brother requests from my girls over the past year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This made me laugh. I have a great friend that was told by her 3 year old son she was pregnant. She said no way, but he insisted she was having "babies". She brushed it off until a week later she found out she was pregnant. Very happily her son started telling everyone that she was having "babies". She tried to correct him so he would say she was having A baby, but he wouldn't change his statement. When the early ultrasound came around sure enough she was having twins.. At least your little one is only saying you're having one baby boy, she could always be insisting there are more...

    I'm sure you'll find out if she's right about the pregnancy soon enough.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...