Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sigh

I really want to homeschool Madeline. I spend so much time going over things she should have learned in school every day. It's frustrating to have to teach someone else's curriculum. It's even more frustrating when you can tell that they're "teaching to the test". Most of what Madeline brings home looks like standardized test prep.

Sadly, Bryan is not on board with the idea of homeschooling. He doesn't think I'm patient enough based on my frustration with her when it comes to having to reteach simple concepts that were taught in school. After nearly seven hours in school Madeline is spent and isn't exactly receptive to learning when she gets home. The school takes her best hours and they simply aren't giving me the results I would like to see.

During the Summer I essentially homeschooled her and she learned a lot. She had a good time and we expanded her horizons. Now that she's back in the public school I feel she's being stifled rather than challenged. She could learn so much more at home and have much more time to be a kid at home.

I really wish Bryan would give homeschooling a chance.

1 comment:

  1. My husband had the same reservations, I wanted to homeschool mine long before he was ready to give it a shot! What if you went to him and said let's give it 1 year or even 2 years?? Your child is young still like mine. I told my DH please just give me 2 years, and if it doesn't work out we can put them back "in school", just let me have a shot! Remind him that if we give it shot doesn't mean that we will always homeschool, and really what are we loosing by giving it a shot?? This is year 2 for me, so we'll see where hubby is at this coming February.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...