Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Oh FaceBook!

If you're on FaceBook do you ever find yourself just getting sucked into the horrible time warp that it creates?  I don't play games on FaceBook, unless you count Words With Friends, but I typically only play that with Bryan or Madeline through the app on my phone, so I don't count it.  So all I'm doing up there is checking in on what friends and family and a few blogs and businesses have up on their pages. But somehow, I always feel like I've lost a good chunk of time once I take a few minutes to check out FaceBook.

My other issue has been with certain people who feel the need to comment on everything I post on FaceBook.  One person, in particular, likes to make inane or just negative comments on just about every status update I have.  It's enough to make me refrain from sharing anything on Facebook.  The suggestion has been made that I block the person from being able to see or comment on my page, but I know it will result in questions from that person.

Then there's the issue with FaceBook just flat out irritating me.  I see things up there all the time that make my blood boil.  I have friends who post things that make me think less of them for doing so.  And it all reminds me of what Bryan said years ago about FaceBook being a poison pill.  I really think he was dead-on with that assessment.

I think it was three years ago when I was pregnant with Katie that I decided to give up FaceBook for Lent.  It was amazing how much better I felt not having to deal with all the things up there that irritated me and directed my attention away from other things that were more worthy ways for me to spend my time.  I'm starting to think that I may have found what I should give up for Lent this year.  I know after I gave up FaceBook that I hardly touched it for about a year afterwards.  That's typically how I roll with things I give up for Lent.  I usually find that I can live without whatever it was I gave up and continue to do so long after Easter has come and gone.  Cheese and candy would be the exceptions in this case.

So I guess the bottom line is I see the need to disconnect sometime soon.  Will I wait nearly another month until the start of Lent or cut ties, soon?  I'm not sure.  If I wait another month, I'm pretty certain that FaceBook and I won't be seeing too much of each other over the next few weeks.  The upside in all of this is I should have a bit more time to actually blog.  My present FaceBook consumption has been eating up the time when I would ordinarily write.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. It is a time warp and I can look back and see how I should have used my time in a better way. It can also be exhibitionist... I have deleted my account and rejoined multiple times.Personally, I think it is harder to stay on and maintain a healthy relationship with it. I admire people who can do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything you said about being irritated and negative comments and then the other people who over share and you catch yourself thinking that they are nuts is exactly how I feel too. I have been deleting my account and rejoining for about 2 years. Its just like private gossiping. And I think after that I figured out how to use it in a way that didn't damage my opinions of people and make me feel judgemental. Although I was glad to find somethings out about people because I am not so sure I would send my kids to their houses after I found stuff out. But if I were you, go ahead and block the mesages from that person, they won't know it. And just use the excuse I have- you needed to tighten up privacy settings and that's all, say someone tried to hack your account if you must provide an answer. You can even hide your feed from them and they wont know it or even think about questioning it. It can be done discreetly.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...