Friday, June 14, 2013

Quick Takes: Volume 72


~1~

Two nights ago I let a room full of people know that I have difficulty telling animals apart.  First I called a cartoon prairie dog an armadillo and then I decided to help my cause by telling the story of my "elephant sewing box" that actually has camels on it.  The funny thing is no one else in the house realized the sewing box had camels on it for about five or six years.  If I asked for the elephant sewing box they brought me the one with the camels.  I don't recall who noticed the error.  It was either Bryan or Madeline.  So anyway back to my original thought....last night Bryan put on an episode of Only in America with Larry the Cable Guy that he had recorded.  He was doing something with armadillos.  Man, I can't get away from these things!  While I was trying to get the remote to turn off the show as they started to chop up the armadillo I did learn that they DO have some fur or hair on their bodies.  Some people at the meeting were insisting that they don't have any hair, but thanks to HD TV and the History channel I know that they have hair on their bellies.  Now you know it, too.  Aren't you glad you're spending part of your day reading this blog?
~2~
I spent a lot of time in the older girls' rooms stuffing a trash bag with junk/trash and small items that I classify as choking hazards.  I think it probably goes without saying that I was not happy.  I'm pretty sure the girls' first few days of summer break will involve organizing and cleaning their rooms.  We're considering having them share a room to cut down on the number of rooms in the house that are disaster areas.  And yes, it's really that bad.  At one point I decided to take pictures of the messes I was encountering with my phone so I could show it to the priest the next time I go to confession.  Sort of an explanation of the root cause of my impatience.  Bryan doesn't necessarily think bringing picture proof to confession is the best idea.  He's probably right, rationalizing never seems to be well received.
~3~
I'm going to have to start planning out my crafts for the upcoming school year.  I offered to teach back to back kindergarten classes on Sunday for the next school year.  I'm excited at the prospect of teaching two classes again.  In the past I had taught my kindergarteners on Sunday morning and then an older grade on a Thursday night.  I took the past two years off from teaching a second class, but I figured I could teach two classes of the same grade back to back on Sunday morning and it wouldn't require any more of me than an hour and a half or two more of my time.  I love the idea of prepping once to teach two classes.
~4~

Bryan and I went to lunch this afternoon with one of his business contacts and his wife.  We went to Fogo de Chao in Philadelphia.  Ordinarily I don't eat meat on Fridays, but I made an exception today since Bryan has raved about the phenomenal meats this place has for a couple of years now and I have been wanting to go there.  I tried a bunch of different meats, but I have to say that I enjoyed the filet mignon and the bacon wrapped filet mignon the best.  On our walk back to the car both Bryan and I were discussing our favorites.  I thought it was funny that we both noted the seat salt dry rub.  I think we notice it because that's how Bryan prepares our filets.  
~5~
School is almost done for both of the girls.  Ellie has two days left and Madeline has three.  I'm looking forward to the Summer.  This past week Ellie has been cleaning out her desk at school so I now have a stack of workbooks and notebooks on my kitchen counter.  I'm convinced that the teacher probably thinks we're disinterested parents.  I have discovered notes from her teacher, award certificates and sundry other things of this nature nestled in the items she's been bringing home.  Some of it is from December and January!  I have no idea why she never brought any of this stuff home.
~6~
Bryan and I have come to the conclusion that we need to find a way to get the girls organized.  I'm the sort of person who thrives on organization so I don't understand why the kids aren't organized.  I think this will be our primary objective for the summer.
~7~


I have less than a month to plan for Ellie's American Girl themed birthday party.  I need to get moving on party ideas.  I also need to design and send out invitations for her friends.  I'm using this American Girl party book for game and food ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...