Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Beyond Blessed

When I was a little girl, I desperately wanted to sweep, mop and vacuum.  Occasionally, my mom would let me play with the broom, but the vacuum and mop were off limits.  That's not to say that I didn't pretend to mop the bathroom floor (that's where the mop was stored) or play with the awesome retractable cord on my mother's Hoover.  Once in a while the mood would strike me and I'd want to clean the powder room sink.  This usually happened in the process of me washing my dolls' clothing or playing swimming pool with my Barbies.  Being of totally sound mind, I never wanted anything to do with cleaning the bathrooms.  It has to be my least favorite chore.  Rake leaves, weed the garden, clean the garage?  Sure, I'll happily do those if I means I can avoid scrubbing toothpaste off a sink.

For a while now, the girls have enjoyed dusting.  Despite the fact that it ranks as one of my favorite chores, I let them do it.  They have to start somewhere I always tell myself.  Yesterday something strange came over my girls.  They want to clean the bathrooms.  No, they're not gas station rest room bad, or anything like that.  In fact, they were cleaned last week.  Apparently, they find cleaning the sinks to be great fun.  I mentioned in jest that one of them will have to learn how to clean a toilet.  In response, Madeline and Ellie decided that they would clean the tanks, and seats.  Perhaps this is a sign that my nearly 9 1/2 year old can be charged with toilet cleaning.  After all, she did transform her scary toothpaste encrusted bathroom sink into a shining masterpiece.

In an effort to get the word out about their cleaning business, they made up business cards.  They boast the phrase "Bathrooms only."  I can live with that.  It's a blessing that comes at a time that is most opportune.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...