Friday, May 14, 2010

Detail Oriented? I Think Not!

Madeline is less than four months away from turning nine.  When she asked me if she could call her friend I naturally assumed that she was capable of dialing the ten digits written on the paper next to her friend's name.

When she initially went to call her friend she was paging through the caller id on our phone to find her friend's number.  The beeping sound was making me batty, so I told her that she could waste a lot of time looking for a number that may not even be in the phone, or she could just dial the number.  Minutes later Madeline comes to me crying.  Apparently she dialed a wrong number and was now incredibly upset.

I didn't really think anything of it, but I decided to investigate after she told me the lady on the phone was Asian.  That piqued my curiosity.  Did she call her other friend's house by accident?  So I grab the phone and check out the redial only to see 11 numbers on the screen starting with the number 8. Hmm.  I handed the phone over to Bryan to investigate.  It appears that my child may have called Laos.  If that's the case, the misdialing folly cost $8.57 per minute.  Bryan and I have not been able to get a straight answer out of her about how long she was on the phone, but she tells me she talked to the woman. Sigh.

Methinks the young lady needs to learn to pay attention to the numbers when she uses the phone.  I'm not sure which is the bigger issue.  The fact that she may have made an international call, or the fact that she totally fell to pieces over dialing a wrong number.  There's never a dull moment!

2 comments:

  1. LOL!! I know it's really not funny to you, but I'm cracking up over here! I'm sure I'll have the same issue some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been super vigilant about the phone usage to prevent this from happening and it sneaks up and happens when I least suspect it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...