Friday, June 29, 2012

Book Review: Feast Days & Holidays

I recently had the opportunity to read Joan Marie Arbogast's Feast Days & Holidays.  The book is packed with crafts, activities and kitchen fun that you can use with your children at home or in a classroom environment.

The book follows the calendar year from January through December with a nicely laid out index that organizes everything by month.  While the primary focus of this book is celebrating Catholic customs and traditions, there are several secular holidays [for both Canada and the U.S.A.] also included in this book.  For the secular holidays, I like how the faith was woven into either the explanation of the holiday or the accompanying craft or activity.

Most of the crafts in this book are ideal for children between the ages of 5 to 8.  As I paged through the book I found several crafts and activity sheets that I thought would either be perfect for my kindergarten religious education class or my old girls who are 6 and 10.

Throughout the book there are many saints featured.  I thought some of them seemed a bit obscure, when compared to similar books on this topic, but that didn't make them any less relevant.

Overall, it's a decent book if you are looking for a way to introduce your child or a religious education class to some fun hands on activities to cultivate faith formation.  While I like the book, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that it's not my favorite book on this topic, but even my favorite book doesn't cover everything.  I do particularly like that this book has plenty of reproducible pages for activities and crafts.

This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on Feast Days & Holidays. This is also a great Catholic gift store for all your seasonal shopping needs, such as Christian wedding gifts and Catholic Garden Gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...