Tuesday, March 16, 2010

From Annoyed to Embarrassed


This Mc Donald's commercial irritated me like you wouldn't believe.  The rudeness of the guy in the commercial made my blood boil.  Every time the commercial came on I'd complain to Bryan about the guy.  I complain about a lot of commercials, particularly ones that assume the viewer is a helpless idiot or the ones that seem like they're preying on the elderly, but this one irritated me almost on the same level as the ShamWow commercials. (I can't stand that guy!)

I still dislike this McDonald's commercial a lot, but now I don't dare complain to Bryan about it for fear of what he might say.  A few weeks ago, while I was in my "Don't talk to me until I've had my cranberry juice and sugar coated wheat puffs!" early morning state, Bryan pointed out to me that I was acting like that guy on the McDonald's commercial.  I was not happy that he made that statement, but I realized that he was right.  I'm not like that to everyone in the morning.  As awful as it sounds, I can tolerate and be pleasant to some people in the morning, like Ellie, my father and my favorite house plant.  I do my best to be nice to Bryan because I know snapping at him can make the day miserable for both of us, and that's not how I want to start the day.  People who are Virgos, my mother and Madeline to be specific, have the ability to set me on a tirade just by cheerfully wishing me a good morning.  Poor Madeline was the victim of my grouchiness the morning Bryan stepped in and pointed out that I was the rude dude that I loathed on the Mc Donald's commercial.

Now when that commercial comes on I still feel irritated by that guy, but I also feel humbled and embarrassed.  It's an odd feeling when you get to see yourself from the outside and realize that you don't like what you see.  I'm now making a conscious effort to not be that guy in the morning. Part of me wishes they'd just stop airing the commercial so I could stop getting this unpleasant reminder of who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...