Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Life Lesson for the Day

It is incredibly difficult, to the point of being almost impossible, to place a vinyl glove on a damp hand. You're probably wondering why I'm giving you such pointless information, right? Well, I refuse to touch raw chicken with my bare hands. Maybe it's just me, but raw chicken feels like a giant piece of snot. And I don't know about you, but touching something that feels like a big blob of nasal mucous is not something I enjoy in the least.

My raw chicken aversion leaves me with a few options. 1. All chicken must come into the house fully prepared. (Not always practical, but I do like the fully prepared part of this option.) 2. I deal with the gross feeling and allow raw chicken to come in contact with my skin. (Not going to happen.) or 3. I play Dr. Karen and put on some medical grade vinyl gloves and have a nice barrier between my skin and the raw poultry.

Lately, I've been going with option 3 because it allows me to make chicken breast smothered in Rainforest Cafe barbecue sauce and burritos (not at the same time, but I make enough chicken for more than one meal at a time so I can do burritos and quesadillas). Tonight, I made the fun discovery that it is very difficult to put a vinyl glove on a freshly washed hand. Who would have guessed? So there you have it. You now have the benefit of my lesson learned for your own future reference.

3 comments:

  1. I'm thinking you need to get surgical gloves; they seem to be able to get the gloves on after they scrub (but then don't they have nurses that assist them?) seems to me that you need a maid/kitchen helper to assist you :)

    didn't realize Rain Forest had a barbecue sauce; will have to look for it; sounds delicious

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had thought to use gloves. I just sucked it up and learned to deal with it. Now that I've been doing it for years it doesn't bother me as much, but I still have Hubby deal with all raw meat if possible...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betty-Rain Forest Cafe sells their BBQ sauce and rib rub in their gift shop. We have one in Atlantic City so we go there a few times a year so I can get my Brave New World pizza fix (it's always pizza with me) and more sauce. I wish they sold the sauce in other stores.
    Praying Mom-See the strange thing is I have no issues touching raw beef or pork with my bare hands. (I guess it's because it doesn't have that snot texture.) Mammal meat doesn't bother me one bit unless I see a big artery or something in the meat. Seafood is a banned substance in my house so I never have to worry about touching that. (Why no seafood? I hate the smell and hold the belief that if God wanted me to eat seafood He would have made me a sea creature. Having me grow up on an island was not enough to convince me to eat seafood.)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...