Friday, November 5, 2010

My Feet Hurt

Today is day two of our DC trip (Is three days long enough to call a getaway a vacation?).  Day one got off to a rocky start.  When we arrived in DC it was cold and rainy.  I don't like being cold and I really don't like being cold and wet.  Some miscommunication issues between me and Bryan led to us not being the happiest campers for the first couple hours of our time in DC.  In short, my comfortable shoes were left behind in the van which was carted away by the valet and I wound up incredibly uncomfortable.  I wound up developing blisters on the back of both heels and I took it out on him.  In hindsight, I should have put the comfortable shoes on when we left the house.  That would have saved us all a lot of aggravation.

Once I got past the shoe issue we started to have a good time.  We visited the National Museum of Natural History and the West Building (Art Museum).  We saw a lot of great exhibits and did a ton of walking.  Later in the evening we drove over by the White House and walked to the North Lawn  area of the White House.  After that, we drove over to the Washington Monument and the WWII memorial and the Reflecting Pool.  We were beat after day one.

Today we started off our day going to Arlington Cemetery.  We visited the gravesite of JFK and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  None of us had ever been there before.  Afterwards, we visited the National Archives and took a peek at the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.  From there, we ventured to the American History Museum where the spent the remainder of the afternoon.

Now we are back at the hotel resting our tired dogs and trying to decide where we should head for dinner.  We're undecided as to whether or not we will try to venture over to the Lincoln Memorial later tonight.  Madeline is very interested in going there.

Outside a visit to the Basilica I'm not sure what we'll be doing tomorrow.  Bryan would like to visit the Air and Space museum, so we may visit that and then head over to the Basilica.

I can't wait to go home tomorrow night and relax.  The sidewalks in DC are very hard on your feet.  They remind me of the walkways at Universal Studios in Orlando.  I prefer a nice smooth surface for walking.  Pebbled sidewalks are brutal when you're doing a lot of walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...